Thursday, September 4, 2008

Nana and My Allowance

When I was a kid, my nana would pick me up every Saturday morning and bring me to my dance lessons. Afterwards, we would go to Brigham's Ice Cream Parlor and sit in a booth. She would have a cup of coffee and I always had a glass of orange juice and an english muffin (grilled, not toasted) with apple jelly. Then she would bring me home, but not before she gave me my allowance...a whole dollar bill! That afternoon I would always walk back down to the the same plaza (strip mall) where Brigham's was, and I would go into Mammoth Mart Dept.Store and choose a record, a 45 rpm from the top 40 Billboard chart. Then I would go next door and buy an ice cream cone (always peppermint stick with chocolate jimmies) to enjoy on the walk home. Once I got home I would play that record over and over.
Such enjoyment for just a dollar! I looked forward to my Saturdays all week long.
When I reached the mature age of 11 or 12 however, that changed. I was finally allowed to take the bus downtown by myself to go to the big, main public library to borrow books...I remember the first time...I felt so grown up! After that, Saturday afternoons were devoted to my big library trip (yes I was/am a geek). But that's a story for another day.

1 comment:

Yankee said...

I was a major library hound also. I used to be able to walk to mine and I would be gone all day. Looking back at that, I can't believe that my mom let me go that far alone and for so long.
Nancy