Thursday, August 13, 2009

more than a month?!



I'm not doing very well here. Oh well. Despite it being summer, with no more classes and a reduced working schedule, it still feels busy! I did take some time of to be a slug--literally sitting around reading, knitting & watching tv. But then I got back to life--cleaning, working, etc. I've done a lot of gardening this summer. I attacked the perennials that have gotten out of control, dug them all up, split them and replanted all around the yard. I added some new stuff too, including two butterfly bushes. They smell fantastic and the butterflies and hummingbirds really love them!

Summer school ended yesterday and I start my student teaching assignment on 8/25. I'm very nervous about it! Next week I'll be going in to help set up the classroom. I can't believe it's already here!

One book I read recently has really provoked a lot of thought. It was "Skinny Bitch" by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin. It's about going vegan for a number of reasons. The authors feel the humans just weren't created to eat meat and dairy, and I'm wondering if that's where some of my stomach issues stem from. Also, the book discusses the various (disgusting) practices in factory farming and meat & processing plants. I wondered how much they might have been exaggerating things, but the small amount of reading I've done on the net substantiate a lot of it. I'm waiting for a couple more books to arrive from Amazon on the subject, but I have already pretty much given up almost all meat and dairy and can already see/feel a difference physically and on the scale. The other part of the book is on going organic. They discuss all the chemicals, hormones, antibiotics that are put into everything these days and how it all affects our bodies. I seriously wonder if that's why we have such high numbers of things like cancer and autism. I had been trying to get back to more whole foods for a while now, but this has spurred me on even more. I have been trying to buy more organic foods, but it's so expensive! Anyhow, I'll just see where this brings me and go with the flow. If anyone has any ideas/advice on going vegan I'd be glad to hear it or even just your opinion on the matter.

And just to include some pics....here's one of my little hummer buddies--isn't he cute?? and one of my flutterbies on the flutterby bush.

3 comments:

Yankee said...

Your pictures are gorgeous!

Cheri Pryor said...

Beautiful Pictures!!! Glad your summer has been busy with fun things like laying around. lol!! Laziness...ummmm...RESTING is important for the body/mind/soul. Remember that. lol!!

Patti H said...

awesome photos Lin. Good luck with your teaching job!!